Even though Florida isn't always considered "The South," I have always felt like a Southern girl. And as such, I know that a strand of pearls goes with everything, from a business suit to a pretty sundress to jeans and a sweater at a football game. Pearls are timeless, classic, and versatile. There are three key pieces that should be in every girl's jewelry box:
- A classic single strand necklace (16" to 18" flatters most women.)
- Pearl stud earrings (7mm is a good size for everyday use.)
- A strand of colored pearls (my faves are pink! Other popular options include gold, black, and gray.)
Then add in some little extras:
- A super-long strand that can be knotted, layered, or even wrapped into a bracelet (Coco Chanel loved the 60" rope of pearls, and was quoted as saying "Every woman should have ropes and ropes of pearls!")
- A pretty pearl pendant, hung from a sterling silver chain
- A multi-strand bracelet embellished with some sparkly jewels
On your wedding day, you may want something simple that can become a family heirloom, or you may want something extravagant. We were recently introduced to Pearl & Clasp, a jewelry company located in New York's Diamond District that specializes in - you guessed it - pearls and clasps. Here are some pretty options beyond the basic strand of pearls, although they do those too!
Another service they offer is pearl restringing. Imagine taking a family heirloom necklace that is a bit dated, and having it restrung into a new piece for your wedding! Or, they could add a beautiful new clasp to your necklace to make it unique.
As a special bonus for our readers, Pearl & Clasp has offered a special discount of 20% off any item on their website (use promo code Heather20). They also offer free restringing with the purchase of a clasp, and shipping for orders over $175 is free as well.
What kind of pearls will you wear on your wedding day?