When you are busy with a million wedding details, packing for your honeymoon might seem like a low priority. But if you plan ahead, and make a packing list, you'll be on the plane to your dream destination in a flash. Here are some of my favorite things to pack in my under-the-seat carry-on, whether it's a large purse or a tote bag:
- Notepad and pen: Sure, you can make notes in your phone or tablet, but having paper can come in handy. Maybe you need to write the address of hotel for your non-English-speaking cab driver, or pass little love notes back and forth with your new spouse!
- Reading material: I prefer electronic reading via my tablet or Kindle, since magazines and books can really add weight to my bag. But, if you plan on buying books or magazines, be sure to do so before arriving at the airport.
- Ear plugs or noise-cancelling headphones: I have issues with ear pain on planes, so I wear ear plugs for take-off and landing. But they also come in very handy when a screaming baby is sitting behind you, or you have an overly chatty neighbor.
- Scarf or sweater: It seems like airplanes can vary in temperature from 80 degrees to 60 degrees in mere minutes. I prefer to dress in layers to help with the drastic climate changes.
- Snacks: Let's face it, the junk you can purchase in the airport isn't always the healthiest. And waiting til the flight attendant brings around the little bag of peanuts? Not fun. Pack a little bag of trail mix, granola bars, or other healthy power food to munch on.
- Water bottle: We all know it's a no-no to take liquids through airport security. But stash an empty bottle in your bag, and fill it up once you've gone through the screening area. If you plan to eat at restaurant inside the terminal, you could even ask your server to put some ice in it! If you are worried about the taste, or traveling somewhere that water is questionable, you could bring along a bottle with a built-in filter.
- Chargers: During layovers (or extended flight delays), it's always great to give your electronics some extra juice!
- Medications: It's easy to forget to pack medications in your carry-on. Remember that flight delays may mean that you need to take your meds before you reach your final destination.
- Pillow and eye mask: If you're taking a long flight, you may want to bring along a pillow, blanket, or eye mask to help you sleep.
- Lotion and lip balm: Dry skin and lips drive me crazy! I always keep these two handy on flights, along with eye drops in case my contacts dry out.
- Valuables: This should go without saying, but be sure your cash/currency, camera, jewelry, and electronics stay with you at all times. Never put these items into a checked bag!
What's your favorite thing to travel with?