It's that time of year again... when over 43% of engagements happen! If you received something shiny this year, here are some tips for the first things to do after saying "yes."
- Let Your Families Know. Start with your parents, and set up a time for them to meet each other if they haven't already. Next, share the news with siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. And of course your best friends! Once you've made these personal announcements, you can make it "Facebook official" and let everyone else in the world know.
- Get Your Ring Insured. This is a step most brides and grooms don't think about. If you have homeowners' or renters' insurance, talk to your agent about adding the ring to your policy. You'll probably need an appraisal, and the original purchase receipt.
- Talk About Dates. Even if you don't have "the" date picked out, you should discuss a general time of year, and whether you will be willing to have a Friday or Sunday wedding. Talk about dates with your families, and also with your officiant or house of worship to make sure you avoid any religious holidays.
- Make a Guest List. You'll need input from your families here too! Ask each set of parents to make their own guest list, and combine them with yours. From this wish list, you can scale down if necessary. It's important to have a ballpark idea of how many guests will be invited before you start looking at venues, and of course for budgeting purposes.
- Come Up With A Budget. If your families will be contributing financially, talk to them about the amounts they are comfortable with. Make a list of your priorities (drop-dead photography, incredible food, over-the-top florals) and then start breaking down your budget based on those priorities.