In the first part of our five-part series, we'll be sharing some ideas for incorporating eco-friendly decor into your wedding. You don't have to skimp on the look you want in order to be "green:"
- Select a location with a naturally beautiful setting.
- Choose flowers grown locally to reduce the amount of fuel used in transportation.
- Ask your florist about organic flowers or flowers grown without heavy pesticides.
- For centerpieces, consider pretty plants that can be added to your garden instead of cut flowers.
- Rent as much as possible - most florists have a variety of containers for your centerpieces so that you don't need to purchase new ones.
- If you will be using candles, select beeswax or soy versions.
- Re-use flowers as much as possible. For example, move ceremony arrangements to the reception, and use your bouquet as the centerpiece on the sweethearts' table.
- Donate flowers to a local hospital or retirement home after the wedding!