I never bash my competition. If a prospective client comes in and tells me she is meeting with other planners, I always ask who, and tell them a few great things about that person. I am always happy to give advice to newer planners. And of course, I love promoting the Association of Bridal Consultants. But this recent news story is such a sad commentary on our industry today: http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=137748&provider=rss
This is the second "wedding planner" (and I use that term loosely) that has been in the news this year. So as a reminder, please, please, please do your homework before hiring any wedding professional!
- Check with industry associations to verify claims of membership or certification
- Research the company with the Better Business Bureau
- Ask for referrals from past clients - and check them! I usually ask for references from other vendors too - reception venues, DJs, photographers and videographers tend to see and hear a lot at weddings!
- Be sure they are licensed for their industry - check local/state websites for proof
- Get everything in writing